(The Unofficial) PopCap Framework Developer Board
November 21, 2017, 08:44:58 AM CET *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audiere library integrated into PopCap framework  (Read 41702 times)
rheenen
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:54:31 PM CET »

NOTICE: Edited because I switched to using Audiere! Look at the 2nd post of page 2 for more information!

As both BASS and FMOD will cost money if you wish to sell your game commercially, I integrated another library into this framework. It saves you $100, and I know I can use that money really well Smiley
CrazyBob
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:34:53 PM CET »

What type of licensing do they use? Is it as open as the pop cap framework or is it gpl or something.
rheenen
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:49:49 PM CET »

LibMikMod falls under the LGPL license, which makes it free to use, even in commercial software!

http://mikmod.raphnet.net/#license

--- MikMod downloads removed, see next page for new Audiere download ---
postalrat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 05:46:47 PM CET »

Audiere is a good lgpl sound library available right now.  Download it at:
http://audiere.sourceforge.net/

Its really easy to use and supports many popular formats.
Architekt
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 06:45:07 PM CET »

out of curiosity, is there a .cpp file for MikModMusicInterface?
rheenen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:22 AM CET »

Thanks, archiktekt, for that hint Smiley I re-uploaded the .zip file to include the .cpp files also, sorry about that, it was 01:00 AM when I upped the original.

As for Audiere: I'll look into it, if I don't get this issue fixed with MikMod, I will see if Audiere does the trick for us... I'll keep you all posted!
Architekt
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 12:04:17 PM CET »

OK I couldn't figure out how to compile MikMod, but maybe it's cause it's 3am and I can't really see right now. Anyways, an initial guess is why are you updating the music interface twice? I noticed that in your Board::Update class you manually update mApp->mMusicInterface. That's already done automatically for you in SexyAppBase::UpdateFrames. Since you derived from MusicInterface and your methods are all virtual it should work no prob. In theory. Since I can't compile this, try removing your manual update line in Board and see what happens. Also, try another file just to be sure that it isn't something bugged with the song itself. If you don't have anything else try grabbing any of the deluxe games on our site and grabbing the music files in the music directory of any game (well, almost any, try something recent).
Architekt
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 12:05:17 PM CET »

uh, in case people don't konw what updateframes is, it's the master update method called for your app. It gets called first, then it lets the widget manager get called, which then calls Update for all of your widgets. mus t sleep.
Razial
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 12:15:29 PM CET »

OpenAl is another option can any body good at it put it into the framework.i guess its an open source and be better with this framework.
rheenen
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:25:51 PM CET »

Razial: OpenAL is not capable of playing MOD, MP3 or OGG all by itself. I was looking for a LGPL'd API that allows me to do that. Audiere and MikMod both use OpenAL (if available and not DirectX available) in the background to make their audio hearable, so you're already using it by using these API's.

Architekt: You don't really need to compile MikMod itself, I included the binary DLL already in the ZIP package. Thanks for the suggestion concerning the UpdateFrame() call, but MikMod should not suffer from being called too often. I am now integrating Audiere's MOD playing into the framework to see how it performs, and I will try your suggestion for MikMod evenso.

I'll keep y'all posted!
rheenen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:23:44 PM CET »

OK! Audiere seems to behave better with PopCap than MikMod did. I can even write a complete SoundManager for this one too, just like the one available at present for FMod. Currently it plays .it and .ogg files without any problems in my edited version of the framework.

If you guys'll keep with me, I'll work hard on a Audiere SoundManager and MusicInterface that must provide the same functionality as the current FMod functionality!
Razial
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:37:13 PM CET »

Thanks , I thought that OpenAl was capable of doing all the things but none the less now i know ,its due to lack of free time i cant look into the sounds library but i m very much intersted i have downloaded the audieara and after my official work i will peak on to see .thanks for keeping us inform it will be a great thing if framework has a new open Source Sound manger as well.

sorry for my english its not that good.
rheenen
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 06:42:27 PM CET »

I really like this Audiere library! It's simple, straightforward and actually works Smiley

I'll try to keep the implementation as much as possible like the current FMod / BASS+DSound one. As far as I can see, this should pose no problem at all. You're even able to play .ogg and .mp3 files directly, so you're no longer required to unpack them first to a "cache" subfolder.

All you will need to do to use this library instead of FMod:
- Add a reference to Audiere.lib in your project's linker settings
- Add "mWantAudiere = true;" to your GameApp::GameApp() method
- Deliver Audiere.dll with your program.

It's really nice C++ stuff going on in the Audiere.h file, I did not dare to make it manually late-binded at this stage, so that's way I chose the 'lazy' route of refering to the Audiere.lib file instead. Don't worry, it's still late-binded this way ofcourse!
brian
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:44:43 PM CET »

rheenen -

You can get your Audiere music library to work without modifying SexyAppBase at all just by overriding "MusicInterface* SexyAppBase::CreateMusicInterface(HWND theWindow)" when extending the SexyAppBase class for your game.

That way your stuff won't get broken when updaing to a newer version of the framework in the future.
dima
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 09:51:09 PM CET »

why in the world would you use another sound lib is BASS is already set up and functional?  It cost $100 for an unlimited shareware license, and its free to use for freeware.  If you write a shareware game and plan on selling it, the $100 is nothing, and if you're not selling the game, BASS is free.  Why go through the extra trouble?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: