(The Unofficial) PopCap Framework Developer Board
November 21, 2017, 08:45:29 AM CET *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Mac version of Sexy Popcap engine?  (Read 36985 times)
bloodlocust
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:25:23 PM CEST »

Very interested in Mac development.

Is this planned?
ManuelFLara
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:09:17 PM CEST »

AFAIK someone in this forum is working on a Mac port of the framework, but nothing official.
Dev
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:36:05 AM CEST »

If I had a mac available, I'd most likely be trying to do this myself.   Until then, windows is enough for me(Not to say I wouldn't love the cross platform support).
bloodlocust
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 12:42:58 PM CEST »

Hiya,

you seem to be trying to do everything every time I see you post somewhere  - really you should be just working on your game you know Smiley
Dev
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:04:11 PM CEST »

Same old bloodlocust Wink.   That'd be my current focus IF I had a mac.    Anywho, what brought you over to C++ and the framework here?   I recall you denouncing C++ as some demon a while ago. Roll Eyes
Bitgrit
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 07:38:56 PM CEST »

Is there any more word on a Mac port of the framework? Smiley
glenfar
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 08:31:13 PM CEST »

Sorry, can't give any information ... just starting to look at PopCap myself and wanted to add my vote for wanting a Mac port!  Wink

It's really the one glaring ommission that I've seen so far, as I'd really like to have multi-platform support for my game. I don't care so much that it's not currently available - just some confirmation that it's being worked on, even if it's not going to be out for another year or two (probably be that long before I'm ready to sell anything anyway ...  :cry: )
jsfuller
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 07:24:04 PM CET »

Does anyone know if the Mac (read OS X) port is still in the works?

Is there any legal reason why this couldn't be a collaborative project fork/port/rewrite?

Is this all just vapourware?

Should I just download the existing PC framework and begin porting?

Also, is there a Linux port in the works anywhere?
MgFrobozz
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:27:56 AM CEST »

I was very interested in doing a port to Linux using SDL/openGL, but gave up once I realized that the member variables are public, including the DirectDraw member variables. I'm very interested in supporting popcap on Linux, but I have no interest in trying to port DD, and if apps use the member variables for DD ops outside the framework, the apps wouldn't work without the DD port. Microsoft would be unlikely to allow the DD header files to be used in porting DD, since it best serves their interests if applications run only on Windows.

SDL (http://www.libsdl.org) might be a good future choice for the framework. It works on these os's ...

Linux, Windows, Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX (AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, SymbianOS, and OS/2 are included in the code, but not officially supported)

... and has code binding for ...

C, C++, Ada, C#, Eiffel, Erlang, Euphoria, Guile, Haskell, Java, Lisp, Lua, ML, Objective C, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Pike, Pliant, Python, Ruby, and Smalltalkhttp://http://
Flayra
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:28:41 PM CEST »

I'm going to give this a look and see how much work it is.  I'll probably use OpenGL to start though, as I'm not sure what kind of non-accelerated low-level drawing is available on Mac.

It seems like 40-50% of our potential beta testers can't play because they are Mac only!  I'm not sure if this is biased towards city-living or if Mac ownership is skyrocketing faster than the polls are keeping up, but this is looking more and more like a necessity!

I wonder how Popcap would feel about an open sourced Mac version?  I could probably host the Subversion server...

-Charlie
Tertsi
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 05:40:38 PM CEST »

I also wanted cross-compatibility for the engine so we are working on an enhanced version of the framework (http://www.mitorahgames.com/MGEngine.html) with Mac and possibly Linux support.
GameStudioD
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 04:56:10 AM CEST »

I have been looking into porting the framework to the Mac using OpenGL/SDL. The software renderer in the framework would be the most difficult thing to port. For one thing, the inline asm used would have to be ported to gcc. But, on a mac, a software renderer is not needed. Most modern macs can run OpenGL just fine, especially for doing simple textured quads, scales and rotations. PopCap has a software renderer because there are a myriad of graphics cards installed on PCs that all have their own quirks, and they probably have buggy, out of date drivers on top of that. Again, not a big enough problem on the mac to justify a software renderer.

So, given that, the port would be a little easier to a hardware-only OpenGL/SDL implementation. Here is a list of things that would need to be done:

* Remove the windows registry dependency and move to an xml/ini file in the app data directory of the os.
* OpenGL initialization, setup.
* Rewrite the blitting functions in OpenGL.
* Use SDL for creating/managing the window and input.
* Resource management would need to be rewritten for OpenGL textures.
* File read/write stuff.
* A few more odds and ends.

If game code is using DirectX directly, you should #ifdef that code or create an interface with platfrom specific implementations. So, I do not think the DDInterface issue raised is a big deal.

I am busy working on my own game and other projects to really takcle this, however, I would be more than happy to help out. For someone with OpenGL/SDL/Mac experience, this port should be pretty easy (hardware-only). I wonder why someone has not done it already.
Flayra
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:46:59 PM CEST »

Good summary and points.  It's great not to have to rewrite all that assembly.  Haven't done that stuff for many years.

Anyone used to Sourceforge here?  I can't imagine it would be hard to set up a project there.  That seems like the way to go here.
David
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 09:20:05 PM CEST »

Quote from: GameStudioD
I have been looking into porting the framework to the Mac using OpenGL/SDL. The software renderer in the framework would be the most difficult thing to port. For one thing, the inline asm used would have to be ported to gcc. But, on a mac, a software renderer is not needed. Most modern macs can run OpenGL just fine, especially for doing simple textured quads, scales and rotations. PopCap has a software renderer because there are a myriad of graphics cards installed on PCs that all have their own quirks, and they probably have buggy, out of date drivers on top of that. Again, not a big enough problem on the mac to justify a software renderer.

So, given that, the port would be a little easier to a hardware-only OpenGL/SDL implementation. Here is a list of things that would need to be done:

* Remove the windows registry dependency and move to an xml/ini file in the app data directory of the os.
* OpenGL initialization, setup.
* Rewrite the blitting functions in OpenGL.
* Use SDL for creating/managing the window and input.
* Resource management would need to be rewritten for OpenGL textures.
* File read/write stuff.
* A few more odds and ends.

If game code is using DirectX directly, you should #ifdef that code or create an interface with platfrom specific implementations. So, I do not think the DDInterface issue raised is a big deal.

I am busy working on my own game and other projects to really takcle this, however, I would be more than happy to help out. For someone with OpenGL/SDL/Mac experience, this port should be pretty easy (hardware-only). I wonder why someone has not done it already.

GameStudioD, none of the framework software rendering uses inline assembly.  Those MMX thingies are legacy and unused.  The only ASM I found in the whole framework that could be hit is an "asm nop" in the triangle rasterizer, an "asm int 3" in D3DInterface, and an rdtsc in PerfTimer.

In other words, your biggest problem is not the software rendering (it's pretty portable code, actually).
GameStudioD
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 06:21:45 AM CEST »

Yeah, I really didn't look closely at the software rendering code. I just saw asm blocks in a few places and assumed asm was used in the software renderer.

Given that, I would still think an OpenGL, hardware only port would be the way to go. The goal would be to run on OSX, and I do not see a justification for software mode. If you ran this on Linux, a software renderer may be a worthwhile. For me, Linux is of no concern.

For the most part, the port would be pretty straight forward. The most tricky part may be converting the windowing code and the game loop to SDL. I will have to look into threading. SDL provides some threading functions, however, they are very basic and may not be enough. (boost?) Porting the DD/D3D code to OGL should be pretty straight forward for someone experienced with those APIs.

Given the rosiest scenario, this port would take me 3-4 months (on my own)... I am taking into account that I work at the day job 40+ hours a week (software engineering). On top of that, I have my own projects... A team of 2 - 3 people may be the best way to attack this project. I can go ahead and setup a sourceforge project. Maybe that small step will spark some interest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: