(The Unofficial) PopCap Framework Developer Board
November 23, 2017, 02:28:08 PM CET *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the Framework with Visual C++ 2005 Express  (Read 40584 times)
rpossum
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:34:54 PM CET »

Since it took a very long thread and a lot of back and forth for me to get the framework going under Visual C++ 2005 Express (many thanks to the PopCap guys for all the great help)... I thought I'd summarize the process I just used to get a fresh install of VC++ 2005 Express working...

1: Install the DirectX9 DSK from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=2 (use the latest update available -- I used October 2005)

2: Install the Windows® Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a55b6b43-e24f-4ea3-a93e-40c0ec4f68e5&DisplayLang=en

3: Install Visual C++ 2005 Express (FREE!) from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

4: Get the latest PopCap Framework (I got 1.22 Beta) from http://forum.fischeronline.de .. It's updated for VC++ 2005

5: Go to this folder --- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCProjectDefaults\ --- and open the file corewin_express.vsprops in NOTEPAD

6: You'll see a line that says something like
Code:
AdditionalDependencies="kernel32.lib"/>

Change that line to this...
Code:
AdditionalDependencies="kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib

odbccp32.lib comsuppw.lib" />

7: Save and close that file

8: Run VC++

9: Go to the Tools/Options Menu

10: Go to "Projects and Solutions"

11: select VC++ Directories

12: Under "Show Directories For:" do the following...

Executable files: change the SDK line to read C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin (or wherever you installed it)
         Include Files: change the SDK line to read C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\include (or wherever you installed it) and add the line C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2005)\Include (or wherever you installed it)
         Library files: change the SDK line to read C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\lib (or wherever you installed it) and add the line C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2005)\Lib (or wherever you installed it)
    [/list]
    13: Hit OK - That should do it!

14: Go to the folder where you put the PopCap demos and open the "osfd VS2005.sln" file... build the SexyAppFramework... build the demos...

Hope this helps some people to get this going more quickly than I did!
    -Russell
    Davidg
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:47:43 AM CET »

This info is very good. I'm trying to follow these instructions, and am reading that this should be installed before downloaded in the requirments, and so forth. I was trying to download DirectX 9.0 - 10/05 version. There is a new Dec 2005 version, but it doesn't say 9.0, and I wonder if it's the same and better. But anyway I have Win/2000 SP4. I was wondering did you have .NET 1.1 runtime installed before this, or does following your steps correct the problem. I only had VB6, and am trying the cheapest, but yet best way to avoid buying Vis. C++. It is saying I need the .Net 1.1 runtime installed before I install directx. Then when I try to install .Net 1.1, it says something else should be installed before that, and it goes on, and on.. I don't have my DSL connections yet, and a dial-up takes over 10 hours downloading that directx. Just trying to save some time. Thanks for any reply.
    rpossum
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:31:09 AM CET »

as far as I know, I didn't have .NET installed.... never did it explicitely at least
    These instructions were from my experience on two machines that had never had any development software other than Flash (which certainly wouldn't count)
    Hope this helps
    -R
    mariamdh
    « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:58:13 AM CET »

rpossum:

I need to know what your OS was before you did your installations for making the framework run. Also, how were you able to install the Windows Server 2003 SDK over another operating system. Did it cause any conflict?

Please help as my current OS is Win 2000 and nothing seems to install.

Mariam
    Davaris
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:49:53 AM CET »

I need to know what your OS was before you did your installations for making the framework run. Also, how were you able to install the Windows Server 2003 SDK over another operating system. Did it cause any conflict?

Please help as my current OS is Win 2000 and nothing seems to install.

I have Win 2000 and followed all of the instructions given by rpossum.

Except for

1: Install the DirectX9 DSK from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=2 (use the latest update available -- I used October 2005)

I scrolled down and used this one

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (December 2004)

becasue after that update, Win 2000 isn't supported.

All of the demos worked for me.
    doroposo
    « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:50:24 AM CEST »

Quote from: Davaris
    I scrolled down and used this one

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (December 2004)

becasue after that update, Win 2000 isn't supported.

Actually, the December '05 and Feb '06 SDK updates work just fine. When Microsoft says that Windows 2000 isn't supported, what they mean is that it is no longer officially supported -- they no longer test it on Windows 2000 and will not offer you any help if you have problems. They haven't done anything to it which makes it incompatible with Windows 2000, and it's unlikely they will for quite some time yet.
    Trex05
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 03:26:22 PM CEST »

I appreciate rpossum post as it is a great help. I followed the instructions and reviewed everything several times. However, when I go to build, I see quite a few errors from the compiler. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm new to this compiler.

------ Build started: Project: SexyAppBase, Configuration: Debug - Incremental Win32 ------
    Compiling...
    window.c
    vorbisfile.c
    synthesis.c
    sharedbook.c
    res012.c
    registry.c
    mdct.c
    mapping0.c
    info.c
    f:\popcapsource\osframework\source\sexyappframework\ogg\info.c(62) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated

f:\popcapsource\osframework\source\imagelib\jpeg\jmorecfg.h(18:) : fatal error C1189: #error :  Something is very very wrong. This header must only be used under Visual C++.

f:\popcapsource\osframework\source\imagelib\png\png.c(346) : warning C4996: 'sprintf' was declared deprecated
            d:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\stdio.h(345) : see declaration of 'sprintf'
            Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
    Generating Code...
    Build log was saved at "file://f:\popcapsource\osframework\source\sexyappframework\Debug - Incremental\BuildLog.htm"
    SexyAppBase - 60 error(s), 17 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

(I edited to remove the similiar errors. No sense showing all of them, so I left just a few for review purposes)
    JPoag
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 03:59:27 PM CEST »

Project->Properties

Configuration Properties->C/C++ -> Preprocessor

Add these definitions:
    _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE;_VISUALC_
    Trex05
    « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 04:18:32 PM CEST »

Quote from: JPoag
    Project->Properties

Configuration Properties->C/C++ -> Preprocessor

Add these definitions:
    _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE;_VISUALC_

Thanks, that eliminated the errors. Smiley The project build was successful, although I was presented with pages of warnings. I gather I can safely ignore these? ( I pasted them below)

------ Build started: Project: SexyAppBase, Configuration: Debug - Incremental Win32 ------
    Compiling...
    SexyAppBase.cpp
    f:\popcapsource\osframework\source\sexyappframework\common.h(10:) : warning C4996: 'stricmp' was declared deprecated
            d:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(213) : see declaration of 'stricmp'

Generating Code...
    Compiling...

SexyAppBase - 0 error(s), 110 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

(I edited this post to remove most of the warnings as they were similiar. Showing 110 of them made the post too long)
    JPoag
    « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 04:31:52 PM CEST »

Make sure you spelled  _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE correctly and also make sure all of the defines are seperated by semicolons
    Trex05
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 05:42:00 PM CEST »

Thank you Smiley

It's a good thing I'm picking up my new glasses for these old eyes today. I found where one of my problems was. In the corewin_express file, I put user32.lig, instead of user32.lib Shocked

I think it's time to increase the font size again  Wink

The demos built with no problems, so I think I'm set. Looking forward to exploring the framework. Thanks again for all your help   Cheesy
    tonyoakden
    « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 01:17:58 AM CEST »

I spent most of the weekend trying to get express to work with popcap before I found this post.  I got most things figured out and got rid of all the compiler errors but I was still getting link errors last night (DDRAW I think).  anyway I'll try these instructions tonight.  Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks for the instructions!
    jarrodc
    « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:01:04 AM CEST »

Not sure if this is specific to Express or not (it's all I have right now), but when I compiled the SexyApp framework and all the demos, they would assert in the std iterator base code as soon as the app tried to remove a widget.  I found that the following code change in WidgetManager::RemoveWidget avoided the assertion:

Existing code:
    Code:
    WidgetList::iterator aNextIterator = mWidgets.erase(anItr);
    if (anItr == mUpdateIterator)
    {
    mUpdateIterator = aNextIterator;

Changed code:
    Code:
    bool anEqual = (anItr == mUpdateIterator);
    WidgetList::iterator aNextIterator = mWidgets.erase(anItr);
    if (anEqual)
    {
    mUpdateIterator = aNextIterator;

In other words, it doesn't like comparing an iterator it has already erased with one that still exists.
    ace
    « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 10:08:21 PM CEST »

This problem is also fixed in the 1.22 framework.
    HammerAuer
    « Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 07:41:52 AM CEST »

I get the following error using Visual Studio Express Edition:

Code:
    LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\..\sexyappframework\debug\sexyappframework.lib'

Update: re-extracted zip and error went away; looks like something changed in my Visual Studio settings, or I inadvertently changed a file.  Disregard.
    Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: